Menu

High Street - north

< back to map ketton high street north collage
  • 112 High Street - Hibbins House. Previously called Stoneycroft. Built in 1890 by George Hibbins, the village stonemason. The house shows the intricate skills of the mason's trade.
  • 106 High Street - The Old Police House. This was built in 1934 on the site of an old carpenter's shop.
  • 104 High Street - Grade II listed building, C18.
  • 100 High Street - Grade II listed cottage, single storey, C18.
  • 98 High Street - Tansor Cottage - Grade II listed house, late C18. Home of the Stanyon family, noted Congregationalists. When they refused to pay a parish rate under the Education Act of 1902 towards a Church of England village school. They were fined and an attempt was made to auction some of their furniture to pay the fine. The villages organised themselves to oppose the auction, which according to the village lore was abandoned in disarray.
  • 96 High Street (Burnham House) & 94 High Street (Merton Cottage). 94 and 96 High Street were originally either side of a gatehouse that led to a now demolished house at the rear; the gatehouse has been floored over and is now incorporated within No. 96. The buildings are believed to date from the 17th century onwards, although evidence from No.94 is indicative of a medieval date. No 94 was formerly the post office, later the home of schoolmaster Mr A Nunn.
  • 92 High Street - late C18 house
  • 88-90 High Street - No 88 was formerly St Mary's House, No 90 was formerly the Bishop Clayton Hall. In 1892, the Diocese of Peterborough bought St Mary's House, previously called Ketton House and named it St Mary's Home for Girls. Penitent young women between 14 and 18 years were trained in domestic service. The laundry[now two bungalows] was connected by an underground passage below Hunt's Lane. In 1944 Peterborough Diocese sold all the buildings but the chapel was kept and purchased by the Parochial Church Council of St Mary's and used as a church hall and named after Bishop Clayton who founded the original home. The home operated a laundry in the rear of the premises to help with the girls' re-education, and offset some of the running costs of the institution. It was said that if one of the girls escaped a bell was rung to alert the villagers to help in her recapture.
  • 78 High Street. Grade II listed cottage, early C19
  • 76 High Street - Aylestone. Grade II listed house, C17 in origin, altered and refenestrated in C19. Sometime post office, entered through doorway, now blocked, in right hand end wall.
  • 74 High Street - The Vale. Grade II listed house, dated 1837. Built of Ketton stone with Welsh slate roof.
  • 72 High Street - Home Farm. House, dated 1851 N over T S in south gable. Was a doctors surgery before later becoming headquarters of the local Home Guard during the Second World War.
  • 60 High Street - Post Office. Grade II listed cottage, C18.
  • 58 + 56 High Street. 58 High Street has a plaque on the wall inscribed: "1914 GRATEFUL THANKS 1918 TO THE --- BELGIAN REFUGEES COMMITTEE (HON.Y SEC.Y & TREAS.R MISS M.E. MOLESWORTH) AND OUR BRITISH BENEFACTORS FROM T.H. KIECKENS VERBEECK FAMILY 3 SISTERS ALOST, EAST FLANDERS BELGIAN WAR REFUGEES AT --" - the word "Ketton" has been masked out twice; the local paper suggests this was to prevent the identification of Ketton in the event of an invasion during WW2.
  • 50 High Street - The Mount. Built in 1851 from stone from Ketton pits by the brothers T & S Nutt. At one time it housed Ketton Home Guard
  • Manor View flats - sheltered housing. Built in the early 1970s on the site of The Crown pub and Crown Yard
  • Northwick Arms. The Northwick Arms pub was first mentioned in local papers in 1864 when it was bought by Messrs Molesworth for 910. The pub was named after the Northwick family of Normanton Park who owned a great deal of property and land in the village, including the quarries. see public houses in Ketton
  • 10 High Street - Brewery House. Thomas Casswell Molesworth came to Ketton around 1870 when this house was dated. His first business activity in the village appears to have been operating the Rutland Brewery at the top of the drive to the left of Brewery House. Water was pumped from springs at the bottom of Fish Pond Lake. In 1926 the brewery and tower were demolished. In 1928, Christopher Rolleston MRCP [Member of the Royal Colleges of Physicians] lived here. see Rutland Brewery
  • 8 High Street - Orchard House. Grade II listed house, C18, of 2 parts: original house to left and converted outbuilding to right, projecting slightly (and possibly of earlier origin).
  • Molesworth Bungalows - Mary Emma Molesworth, who lived at The Firs until her death in 1964 aged 91, left a generous bequest in her will for "the establishment and maintenance of The Eventide Homes at Ketton for the use and benefit of deserving persons of either sex in their declining years". Eight bungalows were built and preference is given to those who are present or past residents of Ketton, or who are able to show a strong connection with it.
  • Chater House - built in 1969 as a home for the elderly - opened by the Duchess of Gloucester. The land was originally owned by the Molesworth family as part of the grounds of The Firs.
  • The Firs - a large Victorian house dating from 1875 built for the Molesworth family who were connected with the Rutland Brewery and Ketton Stone Pits, and who lived here for many years.
  • K6 Telephone Kiosk, opposite Ketton Grange. This Grade II listed kiosk stands on a grassy verge opposite three listed buildings: the Gable House, Ketton House and East Wing Ketton Grange). The K6 was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee.