Ketton Timeline

1086 Chetene was mentioned in the Domesday Book
c.1239 St Mary's Church was rebuilt
1568 St Mary's Church registers began
1594 A monument to the Caldecote family was erected in the north aisle of St Mary's Church
1598 The earliest date of the bells at Ketton Church (others 1601, 1606, 1609, 1640 and 1713)
1618 Earliest datestone on The Priory
1620 Collyweston bridge was first built
Charles II
1672 A licence was granted for Presbyterian meetings in a private house in Ketton
1683 The original Ketton Hall was built and occupied by the Noel–Edwards family
George I
1723 Ketton stone pits were to be let - enquiries could be made to Mr Wootton of Ketton
George II
1740 Cockfight at John Stangar’s house (Long Barn)
1741 Buckworth House in Redmiles Lane was built
George III
1768 Ketton parish was enclosed (before enclosure, much of the arable land in England was organised into an open field system. Closes were small areas of enclosed private land such as paddocks, orchards or gardens, mostly near houses)
1782 Francis Wootton transferred the title deeds to land at Ketton and Kilthorpe to Gilbert Heathcote
1795 Sophia Elizabeth Edwards of Ketton Hall died aged 25 at Exton Hall - in her will she left money to establish a school in Ketton "to promote religion, morality and industry amongst the poor"
1813 Large fire in Geeston
George IV
1824 An advert was placed in the Stamford Mercury seeking a married man to undertake the management of the poor of Ketton
1829 The Congregational Chapel in Chapel Lane was built
William IV
1830 Miss Edwards Dame school was established at 67 High Street
1834 Thomas Nutt opened a quarry in Ketton for raising and squaring freestone.
1834 The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was established in Bull Lane
1836 Ketton Workhouse in Redmiles Lane closed (when Ketton joined the Stamford Union)
1839 The Ketton Friendly Society was founded
1841 Population of Ketton: 951
1842 Typhus fever increased in Ketton
1844 Cleansing at Ketton church uncovered an ancient distemper painting of St Christopher
1848 Ketton railway station opened on 1st May
1851 Population of Ketton: 1,136
1857 Ketton National School was opened
1858 The first mention in newspapers of Ketton Cricket Club – they beat Holywell by 11 runs. The players dined together afterwards in The White Hart
1860 Thomas Molesworth started brewing in Ketton
1860 The gas works were built
1861 Population of Ketton: 1,052
1861 The nave, aisles and transepts at Ketton Church were restored at a cost of £2,150 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott
1862 The Ketton Gas and Coke Company was founded
1870 The Amicable Friendly Club was founded (it closed in 1911 with the introduction of the National Insurance Act)
1871 Population of Ketton: 1,114
1872 Telegraphic Communications started in Ketton as part of the postal service
1873 Ketton Hall was demolished and subsequently rebuilt
1877 Rutland Brewery was established in Ketton
1881 Population of Ketton: 1,116
1881 The cemetery on Empingham Road was opened
1884 The first Ketton Sports and Gala was held
1888 The Jubilee Fountain was erected at Stocks Hill to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria
1888 Ketton Brass Band was started by Dr Snell
1889 Northwick Hall was opened (committee: Mr J Barsby, Mr W Oxborough, Mr R Hough and Mr E Berridge. Messrs Molesworth and Bean contributed)
1890 A Juvenile Branch of the Northwick Lodge of Oddfellows was established
1891 Population of Ketton: 1,027
1891 The Tixover and Ketton Garden Society was established
1892 St Mary’s Diocesan Home opened at 88-90 High Street for reforming young women and training them for domestic service under the care of the Sisters of the Community of St Mary the Virgin at Wantage, Berkshire.
1894 The first meeting of Ketton Parish Council was held at the National School Room
1895 A severe storm blew the top off a windmill in Ketton
  Edward VII
1901 Population in Ketton: 1,041
1901 The first water supply came to Ketton, to The Cottage in Aldgate
1904 A lychgate added to St Mary's Churchyard
1908 Ketton Primary School was enlarged (134 boys and girls, 74 infants)
1908 A Mother's Union branch opened in Ketton. Mrs Tweddell, who lived at The Priory, was the founding enrolling member.
George V
1910 The White Hart pub closed down (now 31 High Street)
1910 A patrol of Baden-Powell Boy Scouts was formed in the village
1911 Population of Ketton: 991
1912 The National School was closed on account of scarlet fever in the village
1918 The Barley Mow pub closed down (now 19 Bull Lane)
1916 The gas works closed down
1926 Ketton Hall was demolished and subsequently rebuilt
1926 Ketton Village Men’s Club started
1928 Ketton cement works opened in July
1930 Ketton Football Club started
1934 The Aveland Arms pub closed down (now 2 Bull Lane)
1934 Electric light was installed in the Congregational Chapel.
1934 At a Parish Council meeting it was voted not to light the streets of Ketton with electricity.
1935 The Pied Bull inn on the corner of Bull Lane burnt down
1935 Ketton railway station was renamed "Ketton and Collyweston"
1935 The Crown pub on the High Street closed
George VI
1936 The first electricity came to Ketton
1941 The Midland Hotel closed
1944 St Mary’s House for penitent women closed after 48 years
1945 The Exeter Arms pub in Aldgate closed
Elizabeth II
1957 The first public water supply came to Ketton
1964 Mary Emma Molesworth left money in her will (from a trust set up by her sister Helen Potter) to establish Molesworth Eventide Bungalows
1966 Ketton railway station closed on 6th June
1969 A new Ketton School was opened on 30 June by the Bishop of Peterborough
1969 Chater House (residential care home) was opened by the Duchess of Gloucester
1970 Geeston Tap, previously the Geeston Lodge Brewery, closed as a public house
1971 Manor View flats were built on the site near The Crown pub
1972 The library was built - faced with stone from the former National School
1972 The core of the village was a designated a Conservation Area
1980 Carver Court opened
1986 Ketton Quarries were designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) as they contain nationally important exposures of Jurassic Limestone