The Priory< back to map
Grade II* listed house of various mainly C17 and C18 builds. There are two date stones of 1618 and 1682. From at least 1304 until the Dissolution in 1538, it was the messuage for the Priory of Sempringham. It became a private residence in 1732. The barns and outbuildings were converted into houses in 1990.Past Residents:
- The Thompson family lived there from at least 1791 until 1870. Thomas Kerchever Cotton Thompson died there in 1791, his son Cotton Thompson Esq. died there in 1835, Cotton's wife Frances died there in 1852 and Cotton and Frances's spinster daughter Frances died there in 1877.
- In the 1891 census, banker George Cayley and his family were living there
- In the 1901 census, three Hulton siblings were living there. Their late father, Reverend William Hulton was the second cousin of Thomas Henry Burroughes who lived at The Cottage in Ketton
- Between at least 1895 and 1904 the Lyster family lived there. Thomas Rice Somerville Lyster, his wife Eva Mariana and their son Osbaldeston Rice.
- Between at least 1904 and 1911 the Tweddell family lived there. The widowed Etheldred Cecil Tweddell moved to Ketton from Barnack Rectory after the death of her husband Revered Marshall Tweddell. She lived there with her daughter Sybil Irene (aged 56, unmarried).
- Between at least 1942 and 1958 Brigadier-General Reginald St George Gorton and his wife Dorothea nee Burroughes lived there.