Stocks Hill & Jubilee Fountain< back to map
The original stocks were still here in the late 19th century. This small area was the centre of the village with cobblers, blacksmiths, bakeries and butchers shops surrounding the fountain and had a flagpole.
- The Jubilee Fountain is a monument and water tap built to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the reign of Queen Victoria in 1887. It is inscribed with 1837/VR/JUBILEE/1887. The water supply for the fountain came from two tanks stored in the roof of the bier house and pumped to the monument and animal trough.
- 1 + 2 Stocks Hill - Grade II listed C18 shop flanked by two cottages. No 1 was originally a pair of cottages. From 1967 to 1987 No 2 was a general grocery store (Duckett's) but during the 19th century it was also a tailor's and a candle maker's.
- Bier House - dates from 1881. The bier was a trolley used for carrying the coffins of dead villagers to either the Chapel or Church. It is now in Rutland County Museum.
A public meeting was held on Stocks Hill on the 21st June to open the drinking fountain and monument in commemoration of the Queen’s jubilee. Mr Frederick Coventry presided, and on the platform were also Messrs Snell, Molesworth, R Nutt and Stanyon. The chairman called upon Mr Snell to open the proceedings, and he, in an appropriate manner, explained the object of the meeting. He referred to the public meetings held last year to consider how best to celebrate in Ketton her Majesty’s jubilee. At those meetings several schemes were proposed, but the erection of a drinking fountain seemed to be the most practicable, and it was carried out in such a manner as to make him (Snell) proud to be an inhabitant of Ketton. Although so long delayed, yet now that it was finished it would be a thing that would stand as a memorial for generations to come. At the conclusion of his speech, a glass of water was drawn and handed to Mr Snell, which he drank, and water was then handed round to any who wished to taste. After a few minutes (by some ingenious arrangement of Mr Molesworth) beer was drawn from the tap and bandied round to the people. After votes of thanks to and hearty cheers for the chairman and others who had taken great interest in the matter, the Ketton brass band played “God Save The Queen”, and the proceedings terminated. The water supply, which has been analysed and pronounced pure, is obtained from a spring near the post-office, and is forced up to Stocks Hill by means of a ram. The engineering was carried out by Mr Molesworth, the excavating superintended by Mr R Nutt, and the erection of the monument was the work of Mr George Hibbins. The monument, which is of Ketton stone on a base of York slabs, stands 13 ft. high. The octagon base is 7ft 2in, and the shaft is 3ft square, finished at the top with a ball terminal. Near the top is a splendid piece of carving by Mr W Hibbins, a native of Ketton, and brother of Mr G Hibbins. One one side is a crown and rose, on another side the words “Jubilee” and on the other sides “1837” and “1887 VR”. The devices and inscriptions are surrounded by wreaths of oak leaves, laurels and ivy. The arrangements have been carried out by a committee, of which Mr Hopwood was chairman and Mr J Stanyon, secretary and treasurer. The money has been provided by voluntary subscriptions, the largest subscriber being the late Lord Northwick, who gave 20l; Colonel Blackett of Tixover Grange, gave 15l; the Hon N Leslie-Melville 10l; and Mr J T Hopwood 10l. Several other gentleman gave 5l each. Other subscriptions have been received, varying in amount down to 3d.