Chater Bridge

< back to map ketton chater bridge collage

The bridge which originates from the 17th century and has a stone inscribed "1849 RH" recording the restoration work done by Robert Hibbins, Ketton stonemason. The bridge was widened in 1849 and at that time it was supplemented by a ford. It is recorded that the bridge originally had six arches and it is possible that the other three remain in the causeway leading to the bridge but hidden by the abutments built when the bridge was widened.