Bull Lane

< back to map ketton bull lane collage
  • Pied Bull Inn - on the corner of Bull Lane, the public house was destroyed by fire in 1935.
  • The Old Aveland Arms - Grade II listed house, now 2 Bull Lane. There was a quoit bed at the end of the garden, now the entrance to 4 Bull Lane “Quoit Cottage”. The pub closed in 1934.
  • Quoits bed - at the Aveland Arms was a quoits bed where a popular game was played that involved the throwing of iron discs, each weighing around 9lbs, at a "pin" that was 18 yards away set in the 3ft square clay bed. Closest to the pin scored a point; landing on the pin scored two points. This popular inter-village game was played until the 1930s.
  • Spring House, 8 Bull Lane - a Grade II listed house dating from early c19
  • Dairy Cottage, 10 Bull Lane - previously Rustic Villa. Late C17 or early C18
  • The Old Chapel - the first Methodist Chapel in Ketton was built in 1834
  • The Old Bakery - Grade II listed cottage (incorporating bakehouse), C18, but of 2 builds. Collyweston stone slate roof. Two storeys. Steps up to 1st floor door (possibly entrance to granary originally) to left. At one time there were three bakeries in Ketton.
  • The Old Barley Mow - now 19 Bull Lane. Grade II listed house, dated 1779 T over H M (on No 17) with early C19 wing projecting to street, now 2 dwellings. One storey. No 17 (to left) has central C20 door flanked by two C20 two-light casement windows beneath timber lintels. No 19 to right has C20 solid wooden door beneath stone lintel with projecting keystone. Wing to street (part of No 19). Two storeys. The pub closed in 1918
  • Methodist Chapel - built in 1864, replacing an earlier chapel located elsewhere in Bull Lane
  • The Forge - originally was a blacksmiths, then a builders yard, then a hairdressers