The Ketton Village History site provides information and resources for the people of Ketton and other interested people. It is intended to be updated by the Ketton Village History Group, and other contributions will be most welcome. This includes oral histories and materials up to the present day, so that events are not forgotten.
Recent events & news
The next meeting is planned for 12 June 2018 at 7pm in the Parish Office. All are welcome. You can bring along any pictures or artifacts that relate to the village, or just relate to the members your own memories. A token fee of £1 is charged to cover the cost of hiring the room.
Report on the Ketton History Group Meeting on 14 May 2018
The meeting started by discussing the census 1841, very little of interest seemed to have happened in Ketton, whilst a great deal happened in the rest of the country railways in particular, London to Bristol and London to Brighton were completed.
The Noel's who at one time lived in Ketton were talked about and it was suggested they may have been responsible for the building of the Stamford Hotel. Various directories were examined for entries relating to Ketton, one referred to a public house named The Heathcote Arms, nobody could recall ever seeing another reference to it. A suggestion that Aveland was a branch of the Heathcote family. The following revealed the connection
Sir Gilbert John Heathcote (1795-1867), 1st Baron Aveland, British Whig Member of Parliament. Owner of Normanton Park estate.
Normanton Hall was a large, now demolished, country house at Normanton in Rutland. Normanton was the possession of the De Normanvilles for fourteen generations following the Norman Conquest. The estate then passed in 1446 to Alice Basings who was married to Thomas Mackworth of Mackworth, Derbyshire. The house was then in the possession of the Mackworths for several generations. Thomas Mackworth, High Sheriff of Rutland for 1599 and 1609, was created a baronet on 4 June 1619. Sir Thomas Mackworth, 4th Baronet was ruined by electioneering costs in the early 1720s and was forced to sell.
The estate was bought by Sir Gilbert Heathcote, 1st Baronet, Lord Mayor of London, in 1729. His son, Sir John Heathcote, 2nd Baronet, rebuilt the hall between 1735 and 1740 to the design of Henry Joynes and Sir Gilbert Heathcote, 3rd Baronet enlarged the hall to the design of Kenton Couse between 1763 and 1766. A large central bow window designed by Thomas Cundy was added around 1800. In the 18th century the village was cleared to make a park for the estate of the Heathcote family with the population mainly re-housed in Empingham and the old church on the estate was rebuilt in 1764 in a new location by the 3rd Baronet.
In 1827 Sir Gilbert Heathcote 5th Baronet (later Lord Aveland) married Clementina Willoughby, (later Baroness Willoughby d'Eresby) who was heiress to the Ancaster estates. Following the death of Evelyn, Countess of Ancaster the estate was sold off in 1924 but as the mansion could not be sold intact, a further auction in 1925 sold the fixtures and fittings and the shell was demolished.
The stable block of the hall is now the Normanton Park Hotel. The church, due to be demolished with the construction of Rutland Water, has been rescued and is reachable by a causeway.
The next Meeting is at 7.00 pm 12 June 2018 at the Parish Office.
Meetings for the remainder of the year are on 10 Jul, 13 Aug, 11 Sep, 9 Oct, 12 Nov 2018